Thursday, November 3, 2011

PIECES

 What comes to mind when you hear the word 'pieces'? When I hear this word, I think of something broken into bits, something fragmented or something splintered. A vision of shattered glass pops into my mind. The word 'pieces' is mentioned 293 times in the Bible. I researched various scriptures which made reference to this word and practically all of them referred to something broken, shattered or in bits.

I was talking to a friend the other day and we compared our lives without the Lord to a 'broken flower pot.' We were both able to compare our lives to a vase-like object which had become cracked over time. Our conversation got a little more detailed and we both described broken vessels which were ugly and weathered, cracked and splintered...broken into pieces.

We also compared life without the Lord to a massive, complex jigsaw puzzle which lay in pieces. We have all seen this sort of jigsaw puzzle, which is sold primarily in craft stores and practically requires a degree in engineering in order to even attempt assembly. My life resembled one of these puzzles for many years. Bits and pieces of it were scattered in every direction. No two pieces of my puzzle would ever seem to match up. Even the straight pieces of the puzzle which made up my life would not fit together. No matter how hard I tried to piece together this puzzle, I only met frustration, disappointment and failure. No matter how long I tried, I would never have been able to complete this task. I would have forever been stuck, just looking at the pieces.

We have all heard the phrase, "The Touch of the Master's Hand." It was only through this touch that the pieces of my life were ever put back together. The Lord sat back and watched me struggle in order that I realize and appreciate his ultimate authority over my life. He mended all the broken pieces which I had so carelessly damaged. He fit pieces back together which would have never been replaced. He did this with ease. He did this iwth power. He did this with love. The Lord showed me the need for His touch in my life, the necessity of His guidance and the healing power of His hand. He did this through His forgiveness, His grace, His mercy and His love. He fixed what was broken in my life. He made my pieces whole. He did it for me...He can and He will surely do it for you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment