Monday, August 22, 2011

GOSSIP IS SUCH A DEADLY POISON

Some "notes" that I write are written specifically with a particular person in mind.  Well, today is one of those days.  I am going to write this "note" about something that is on my mind and that hits really close to home.  What I write today concerns myself and I want to share it with all of you.  It might even be something you are dealing with as well. 

For a very long time, I gave many people plenty of reason to talk about me behind my back.  I hurt others, I was selfish and looked out for me, myself and I.  These days, its a different story.  I am trying my best to put the feelings of others first and to let my light shine in the best way that I know how.  However, a certain someone that I have known for years seems to be unable to let bygones be bygones and makes it a point to try to drag me down.  Today, I am gonna pray for this person, just like my Bible tells me to do. 

Satan is the source of all gossip.  It allows him to whisper into our ears.  God, on the other hand HATES gossip.  In fact, Proverbs 6:17-19 tells us "These six things the Lord hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him.  A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren.  God absolutely HATES when we do these things.  In fact, when we engage in any of these activities, we break the 9th commandment, Exodus 20:16, "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." 

People gossip for many reasons, mainly because of low self-esteem.  Those who gossip about others often feel bad about themselves and tend to gossip in order to try to pull others down with them, giving them a rise in self-value.  These people are often frustrated and unhappy in most areas of their life.  (Matthew 12:33-34)  Misery loves company.....We have all heard this statement.

As Christians, we know that God doesnt want His people listening to or spreading dirty words and stories regarding others.  Gossip is a sin and in the eyes of God, one sin is just like all of the rest.  Words kill and gossip is much like murder.  It is murder by word of mouth.  It murders the character of a person.  It has the potential to kill a persons witness.  We must keep our mouth and our ears pure.  We must refuse to take part in this deadly assassination.  Above all, we must pray for those who are hell bent on using their tongue as a vicious weapon.  I used the words hell bent on purpose.  We gotta pray, pray, pray..........

Matthew 7:12  Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Ephesians 4:29  Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good fornecessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers

Please join me in prayer today for those who insist upon spreading the deadly poison of gossip!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! And so many times, I believe as Christians we say "we need to pray for this person" as an attempt to Christianize our gossip. :( Thanks for sharing this... We all need to learn to control our tongues. Glad I found your site. :)

    ReplyDelete