Tuesday, October 25, 2011

MODERN DAY SLAVERY

Regardless of who you are, where you live and how old you might happen to be, I feel quite sure that you have heard of the concept of slavery. The word slavery brings to mind Hebrew slaves, Egyptian slaves or more recently in history, African slaves. We all learned about slaves in school. We have read about slaves in the Bible. We are quick to be thankful that slavery no longer exists. But does it? It is my belief that modern day slavery is thriving in this world today.


I can only speak for myself, but for many years, I was a slave. My slavery was self imposed, but it was truly binding. I was enslaved by addictions, fear, regret, anger, distrust and disbelief. I was enslaved by my reputation, self-image and lack of self worth. I know others who have been and still are enslaved to some of the things I just mentioned. I know others who are enslaved as well. Some are enslaved by money, power, social status and material possessions. It all boils down to being enslaved by sin.


Just as the Hebrews, the Egyptians and the Africans were locked into slavery, I was too. I know how they must have felt. I woke up into my slavery, I spent my days in bondage and I went to sleep at night knowing that my slavery would greet me again if and when I woke up the next day. It was a miserable existence. Existence being the key word. I was only existing!


I am so thankful that the Lord saw fit to remove the bondage of slavery from my life. He picked me up and destroyed the chains which had held me captive for so many years. He turned my sorrows into happiness and replaced my tears with smiles. My slavery tried to destroy my life, but the Lord stepped in and gave me a future. Today, I see my past for exactly what it was.....a testimony of God's saving grace and power!


No matter who you are or what you are going through, the Lord sees it all. He hears your cries. He knows your struggles. He is waiting patiently to set you free from any slavery which may exist in your life. He did it for me, He can and He will surely do it for you as well.


Galatians 4:3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment