Monday, September 12, 2011

BAGGAGE

Gina and I went to the camp with my parents this weekend.  We love to go there and just get away from time to time.  We gathered up some clothes, threw them into a couple of tote bags and headed out Friday afternoon.  It didnt take long for us to pack, we brought only what we needed to bring and we had no excess baggage.  The mention of excess baggage brings me to the point of what I wanna write about today.....the emotional baggage we carry.....how carrying the load of our past prevents us from embracing the present, the here and the now!

I dont know about yours, but the baggage of my past consisted of quite a heavy load.  If I had to form a mental image of it, the baggage of my past would resemble huge, jagged chunks of cement, emormous hunks of steel and boulders made of brick....and I carried them everywhere I went.  My baggage found its way into every relationship I developed, every room I entered and even into every conversation I held.  I couldnt see the present because my sight was so clouded by the past.  I couldnt touch today because my hands were full.  We have all heard the saying, 'BLAST FROM THE PAST'.....well, the past held me captive!

When we live according to our past, we never truly live.  We cannot grab ahold to whats in front of us if we are holding on to whats behind.  God didnt create us to be captive.  Before we can be of any good to anyone else, we must first let go of the baggage which ties us down and completely surrender ourselves to the Lord.  Its not an option.  It is something we simply have got to do if we want to live life to the fullest. 

We must unload our baggage.  We cannot drag our past everywhere we go.  God is ready and willing to relieve our load.......if only we let Him. 

Matthew 11:30  "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light"

No comments:

Post a Comment