Wednesday, September 7, 2011

LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING

A while back, I was talking to a casual acquaintance who just so happens to read the 'notes' that I write.  She has 'known' me for several years and said, "I never would have guessed that you had all of the problems you say that you had.  You always looked so happy, like you had it all together, like you didnt have a care in the world."  I had to laugh when she said those words to me. 

Little did she know........

My life was a complete and total mess.  I hid behind my laugh, smiled to keep from crying and talked excessively to keep myself from just screaming out loud.  There were days when I would stop my vehicle out in the country, get out and literally scream at the top of my lungs.......you can ask my mother, this is true!  I did anything that would make me feel better.  Physically, I looked pretty much the same as I do now, other than the fact that I have actually gained a few pounds.  On the inside, I was quite hideous.  It was the condition of my heart which made me ugly to the bone. 

The human heart is naturally selfish, self-centered and above all self-protective.  In fact, the Bible tells us that ALL sin starts in the heart.  Jeremiah 17:9 tells us that "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked."  Matthew 6:21 goes on to say, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." 

Even though I might physically look the same, my heart has been undergoing transformation.  I am still not perfect and will never be.  Through the grace of God I am a work in progress.  By reading, absorbing and doing His word to the best of my abilities, the stains on my heart are slowly fading away.  And for that, I am grateful this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment