Friday, September 9, 2011

A MOMENT TO REMEMBER

I feel quite sure that everyone is aware of the upcoming 10th anniversary of that horrible day we simply recall as September 11th.  I also feel quite sure that you, the person reading these words, can remember exactly where you were when you first heard about what was happening.  It was a heartbreaking day for our country and for the world.  However, thats not what I intend to write about today.  My 'note' today involves what must have been another truly remarkable moment in time, an experience to never be forgotten...................

I wonder what it must have been like to be a person in the crowd when Jesus delivered His Sermon on the Mount, which is found in Matthew 5, 6, and 7 in the New Testament.  I wonder how it felt to watch Jesus Christ himself walk through this huge crowd, climb up on the mountainside, sit down and begin to speak what has been called the greatest sermon He ever delivered.....To have actually heard His voice with my own ears.....to have seen His smile....to have felt His human presence.

I would highly recommend that anyone going through storms, suffering confusion or feeling lost and disconnected read and absorb Matthew 5, 6, and 7.  In these Chapters, Jesus spoke of many awesome concepts.  He presented us with the "Beatitudes," regarding blessings, light of the world, salt of the earth, eye for an eye, turn the other cheek, instructions on prayer and fasting and gave us The Lord's Prayer.  He also instructed us on the importance of forgiveness, spoke against judgement, told us not to worry and warned of false profits.  In this sermon, He stressed the importance of building our foundations upon rock. 

I would have loved to have been a person in that crowd as he sat there and delivered His message, but for now, I am content to read about it in His love letter to us all, the Bible.  It is my prayer today that I not only read and understand the instructions He delivered, but that I make it my business to LIVE according to His words.  Let others see more of Him and less of me.  Let my light shine and reflect the love of God in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment